butternut squash with shallots & sage
It’s not really necessary to roast the squash and shallots after their cooked in the skillet but I like the way roasting blends the flavours a little more and browns the edges slightly.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 shallots, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 (1¾ pound) butternut squash, peeled, and cut unto ½ inch cubes
- ½ cup sodium-reduced chicken or vegetable broth or water
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon finely chopped fresh sage
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- black pepper
Preheat oven 400F
Heat oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over medium heat, until it shimmers, then cook shallots and squash stirring until shallots are softened, about 5 minutes.
Add broth, brown sugar, sage, and ½ teaspoon salt, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Simmer covered, stirring occasionally until squash is tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat, place in oven tray and roast for 10 – 15 minutes. Remove from oven, stir in vinegar, salt and pepper to taste.