Whenever I make this salad, I get asked for the recipe so here it is. It’s easy, healthy, delicious and a great way of using up leftovers and then throwing in whatever else you have in the fridge. I try to mix up the colours and textures of the ingredients and then top it with something crunchy like fried shallots or toasted almonds. You can serve it as a main meal if there’s enough stuff in it. It is important to add the dressing while the rice still warm and serve the salad at room temperature. If you put it in the fridge first, the rice will become dry and the dressing will lose much of its flavour. You should also know that the measurements here are approximate because I never measure anything for this salad, I simply check it towards the end and adjust if necessary. It is important however, that you add a lot of fresh ginger and lime juice (lemon juice is okay but it’s not as good) and then top the whole thing with loads of fresh coriander leaves.
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 fat garlic clove, minced
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup white or brown basmati rice
- 1 cup fresh coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- ¼ – ½ cup of any combination of various ingredients such as: any beans; any grilled and/or raw vegetable; corn; green onion; smoked salmon; tuna; shredded chicken; cooked egg; nuts; etc.
Boil or steam the rice and then place in a large salad bowl when done. Place dressing ingredients in a small bowl and whisk together. Prepare the salad ingredients and add to the rice. Add dressing and gently mix to combine. Top with fried shallots and fresh coriander.
serves 2 – 4