- 1 cup juicy black Greek olives (or a mix of black and green), rinsed, pitted, and chopped
- 5 anchovy fillets, rinsed and mashed
- 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed and drained
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chopped pickled or raw mushrooms (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
- pinch or more of red pepper flakes
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 to 3 fresh basil leaves, chopped (optional)
- 2 cups prepared tomato sauce, heated*
- 1 pound spaghetti
Combine olives, anchovy fillets, capers, mushrooms, herbs, garlic, and red pepper. Heat a little olive oil in a skillet and in it saute the olive mixture 2 to 3 minutes. Add the tomato sauce and readjust the seasoning. Simmer 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook the pasta in boiling salted water until al dente. Transfer to the skillet and mix well. Cook for 30 seconds longer. Serve hot without grated cheese.
Recipe adapted from Paula Wolfert, Mediterranean Cooking.
*Wolfert offers a variation on this recipe where she omits the tomato sauce but adds more olives, plus yellow raisins, and pine nuts. I’ve never tried this version but I may do so one day because Wolfert claims it’s really good and that the raisins blend nicely with everything else.